17 Years...

That's how old I was when my mom passed away. I find it hard to believe what a short period of time that really is. But although the time was short, I have found myself saying so often to myself that I wouldn't trade it for anything. The memories we had, and the moments our whole family shared during that brief window, is more than so many people have in a lifetime with their family. I am excited to start doing this today, but I am also super nervous too. I want to be able to share with you, my memories, and special, sacred moments we shared. Bare with me on these posts, I hope you enjoy reading them, as much as I enjoy re-living them.

THE RED CRAYON:

This will spark a memory for some of you, and anyone I went to elementary school with in the 3rd grade. As most of you know, my mom was a single working mother for most of our childhood, at times we were broke!! DEAD BROKE... (I actually never knew this until I grew up, and realized the sacrifices she made for my sister and I). In the second grade, I told my mom I wanted to be a, "red crayon" for Halloween because my hair was red too. I thought this was a great idea. My mother is not a seamstress, nor was I. So when we set off on making our costume, here is how it went... (I so wish I had pictures). She buys me bright red tights, red turtleneck a red hat, red poster board, a black sharpie and some rope! The night before, we stayed up and my mom got her ruler out, made the lines so perfect on the poster board to make it look like a, "red crayola crayon" she punched holes in the tops for the rope to go into. The next morning I put my crayon on, my tights, and my little red hat. It was held up by the ropes over my shoulders, and I WADDLED to school in this costume. We did the school parade, and I was so proud of my red crayon costume. UNTIL.... We all went back to the classroom to sit down and do our work... but... I couldn't sit.. I was wearing a posterboard dress, that was stapled. I had only my red tights underneath, and my teacher proceeds to tell me to stand in the back of the classroom. I did too, and finally after what seemed like hours he tells me to go home and change. Later that night when I was out trick or treating, I saw this little boy, in the Green Crayola Crayon costume, and it was store bought and made out of nice soft, past his knees fabric. Not the breakable, held by staples and rope posterboard I wore. The thing is.... I bet that boy doesn't remember how hard his mom worked on his, or maybe he doesn't even recall being the green crayon that year... But I will always remember my red crayon costume, that I couldn't sit down in, or worse yet, go to the bathroom while wearing it.

I think it's so cute how hard my mom worked on this, and really how I beamed while wearing it. Honestly... I cannot tell you the gratitude I now have for that costume she made me. Isn't it funny, when we are kids, and things we are most embarassed about, tends to be some of our favorite stories, and memories as an adult.

We miss you mom, and thank you so much for the, "red crayon" costume. I have shared that story so many times... and laughed until I cried!!

Love,

"Your little shit.."

Melanie

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

I remember that costume! And I know my mom has a picture of it. I even remember what we all were. I was a witch, Taylor a Notre Dame fan (I think he was this for 4 years in a row), Ryan was Batman, Jamie was a rabbit, Drew was Super Man. I loved that costume, then and now. I honestly remembered how creative it was.

Unknown said...

I bet you were the cutest crayon ever! that is a wonderful story mel. I think we should take a page out of your history this Holloween and make all of our kids costumes! (NO, I am not kidding!)

bebe said...

My mom made the best gypsy costume for me one year. My daughter actually wore it recently for Halloween. It was and still is the best costume ever!

Tamara with a "T" said...

I laughed out loud. Thanks for sharing. I think I even remember the costume vaguely.

stacie said...

That is a great story. I know your mom is proud of you, Mel for the person that you became. I know that she loves you so much. She would be proud of the mom that you are.