The Dance.....

This is the situation that I came across...

My mom the, "do-gooder"... she was such a sweetheart, and never wanted to hurt anyone, nor did she allow her children to hurt anyone!!

I was allowed one, "hall pass" during my high school years, and that was my junior prom. I was asked to prom this year by 2 boys, and they were definitely both catches for the prom, but I said yes to the first guy, because my, "dream date" took forever to ask me, and when he finally did, I said, YES. My mom was so ticked that I did that because I already said yes to someone else... She was not pleased with my decision. Bare with me though, my, "dream date" finally asked. Melanie was happy, mama was not!! I ended up going with the dream boy, but my mom told me that I would never be allowed to do that again.

THE DANCE>>> It was Christmastime... I wanted to go with a special someone, but another someone asked me to the dance.... before my special someone. Although my special someone asked me.... HE WAS LATE!! My mom MADE me say yes to the first boy that asked, and although he was nice as heck, I wanted more. I ended up going to the dance with my, "2nd choice" No group of friends, nobody else, just he and I. I want to say that this boy was, "nerdy" but I know that sounds horrific of me to say, but it was and is what it is. I was 16, and wanted more than ever to be with my group of friends, and when my 2nd boy finally asked... mom made sure that I said yes to the first boy.

Now this may not sound as a sweet memory to me, but now that I am a mother of 2 boys... The girl better say yes!!!!!!!!!! I was taught a bitter sweet lesson in that time of my life. I have a memory of that dance, but more than ever, I have my moms sweet voice saying, "there is no way in h-e double hockey sticks you will say no!! I watched Monty Python for my first time that night!! Thanks mom, we need to talk about this when I see you again!!!

Love,

Melanie

2 comments:

bebe said...

A long time ago, rumor had it that I was going to be asked to a dance by two boys. The boy I wanted to go with was planning to ask me that evening, but my mom knew that the other boy had left a little gift at my home with an invitation to the dance. My mom kept me busy and away from the house so my dream boy could ask me before I "found" my invitation from the other boy. I knew nothing about any of this until later, Thanks Mom!

Brad and E'Shell said...

I love that you are doing these posts! I loved your Mom! She was always so good to me! It's funny how as teenagers we always thought we knew best and our parents were so terrible making decisions for us and "we were never going to do that when we became parents". Funny how things change when you have your own and begin to understand that they knew best. What a great tribute to a great person!