The Sports Fanatic....

Okay so this is actually one of many fun and exciting things about my mom. She was such a sporty woman... she loved to play softball, and to watch the Utah Jazz like crazy... My mom would sit and yell at the TV when John stocton was wrongfully accused of either a foul he got called on him, or the intentional foul the refs ignored toward John Stocton. She taught me to become the Jazz fan I once was. I knew the stats, and plays, and remember the first Jazz game I went to with my mom and sister. Really, it is one of my favorite childhood memories.

Also, my mom the softball player... Seriously she worked for one company that had a coed team for softball, and they took it so incredibly serious... BUT... they sucked!! I was their number one fan though... I promise. I was always going to every game, and cheering them all on. My mom played catcher, and 2nd base. To this day if I ever play 2nd base, I think of her and her softball days. I remember one game in particular. Now let me preface a little bit. My mom rarely struck out, and pretty much always hit a grounder that sometimes went to rightfield. She was not the small, athletic type but she was passionate. She never wanted to let her team down. (so my mom) one time she hit one of those grounders and ran with all her might... she was not the fastest, but again she wanted it the most. I overheard one guy and his buddy making fun of my mom, I was maybe 10 years old. I can't remember for sure, but I walked up to those men, and said, "That's my mom, ASSHOLE". A lot of the fans heard, and some of the team heard. Now of course that was not the best thing for a little girl to be saying, but I heard much encouragement after from the group of people that overheard me after I said it. My sister always loves this memory. So do I.

My mom tried to reprimand me for this, but she couldn't. I really think when her 10 year old daughter stuck up for her, meant the world to her. I could tell. BUT she is my mom, I would do the same thing again today.

I miss those days, watching the games. I swear, we were O for 100... but we still thought no matter what we would, "get em' next time".

Thanks again for reading the memories... I love sharing them with you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You and I should kick some bootie at softball in memorial. i know I am good..let's do it.

bebe said...

Fun memories for you. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.