Christmas Cheer, Feeding the Homeless, and the SNOW IS HERE!!






I always think, I'm going to blog today, no not today, tomorrow. Then before you know it, weeks have passed us by, and I haven't written a thing! But there is sooo much to say!! Where do I begin?

Feeding the homeless: Here is where this all began, for the longest time I have wanted and needed to do some sort of service, but lacked in doing so. I called Drew, (my cuz) who is always involved in something, and in the know with this sort of thing. He gave me a few options, and I decided that feeding the homeless under the 500 South Viaduct downtown Sunday mornings would be absolutely perfect for me! Cold, or not, I knew this is what I wanted and had to do! The alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m. I gather the parka, layers of clothing, wool socks, 2 beanies, 2 pair of gloves, and toddle off around 6 to be sure I am there by 7, because I was forwarned if I were late, I could possibly be turned away. This experience has taught me much, and fed me more. I cannot believe what I have seen. I am thrilled to be there, and I almost feel a slight buzz in the air the entire time we are there. It's hard work, it's a lot of work, and it's freezing cold. BUT, after 5 hours I climb back in my car, crank up the heater and come home to my family; to my warm house, my favorite flannel sleeping bag, my favorite spot on the couch, watching movies with my family. I am blessed! Some of these people live on the street, sleep in the park because they have been turned away at the homeless shelters due to overwhelming demand. Some of these people start lining up before we get there, as if they have been looking forward to this since the last Sunday breakfast.  


This last Sunday Braydon wanted to come with my, yes my 10 year old was totally okay with getting up at the crack of dawn knowing full well how cold it was outside to come with me, and experience feeding the homeless. I am so proud of him, so proud of his emotions, and how much sympathy he had. He saw a mom with a baby in only a onsie, and helped the mom by carrying her food for her. He came back visibly shaken, and worried sick about both of them. He worked so hard, and never complained although our fingers and toes felt as if they were falling off. He gladly jumped in wherever he could to help, and especially loved washing the dishes because the hot water felt sooo good! I love you Braydon, and I thank you for choosing me!

I started a small clothing drive to get warm clothes, because truthfully I saw one too many children with out coats, one too many babies in only a onsie, one too many kids without gloves, one too many men with only a t shirt on, and one too many women with only a dress, and slippers, and her bare legs poking out. I could take it no more! I mentioned to a few people that if they had any coats, hats, jeans, gloves, sweaters, sweatshirts that I would gladly be taking donations to take down to the Sunday breakfast, and donate to my new friends. I have already had an enormous response, and have been emotionally charged at what people are willing to do. I had a coupld people give me some new items, that they went and bought because I asked for donated items. I couldn't believe it! I am stoked to take the treasures, and excited to know that we have helped boys and girls, women, and men... babies to get a little bit warmer during this cold time of year. The first Sunday I went, we served 494 homeless and families in need. Thank you everyone, your kindness is overwhelming, and I am grateful to know you!


Christmas decorating: For those of you that know me, Christmas decorating makes me sooo happy! I love the trees, the berries, the lights, and ornaments. I love it all! I love decorating my house during the holidays, and shopping, and giving, and playing in the snow! Here are some pictures of the decorations! Braydon and I got on the ladder, and put some bulbs around the chandelier, and he was hilarious, because he's afraid of heights!

SNOW IS HERE: Seriously, this is awesome! I think I just heard that little click on my bindings when I step in my snowboard! Tonight we broke out the snowblower, and all played in the snow, Carter could hardly wait to get out the door, and was a trooper the entire time we were out there. Is there anything prettier than the snow falling, (when your not driving)? Is there anything better than watching your kids making snow angels?


5 comments:

bebe said...

Yay! Blogging and Christmas and helping others!

Sue Lue Hue said...

You make me proud Mel! It's amazing what one person can do for several others. Good job to you and Braydon. (A very special young man.)

Anonymous said...

Your house is beautiful and you have done some beautiful things for our community. I'm so excited to talk to you about the Sunday mornings with the Eagle Ranch. They are some interesting peeps. ha ha. But really it will only eat at you more and more. I'm so proud you went the extra mile to collect clothes for these people. Stay with it and your passion for social justice will only grow. I'm so proud of my family!

Lindsey said...

Great post!

Tamara with a "T" said...

Loved this post and love you more!